Sunday, October 4, 2009

Andy's latest

Hello everyone. The dust has settled in Andyland, temporarily at least. I am renting a room in the McCay house on Nashville near Magazine, which is a very lovely and desirable neighborhood. Since I have also been frequently dressed-up for interviews, I feel like more than an unemployed twenty-something, so if nothing else it is good for mental health. I play Scrabble with Douglas, her aged husband, and I just won my first game with help from the words Quail, Qi, and Ir, two of which I was challenged on, didn't know existed, and still don't know the meaning. So it's a mixed victory, I think. My other house-mate, Alex, is a former Loyola student who I had worked with in the library and media center, and is very good company. Also the basset hounds, Murray and Henrietta, who are stinky but playful.

I have a job now! I am an under-waiter at Brennan's restaurant in the quarter. It is a very popular high-end restaurant, with a rather touristy reputation, which is good news for the wait-staff. My supervisors are competent and genuinely enjoyable people. I start on Tuesday at noon. I am also doing some tutoring, in writing with our old friend Isabelle, Melanie's daughter, who is precocious and imaginative, but rather unrestrained in punctuation and paragraph structure. And I may have just scored a few more gigs via craigslist. I also got my Brennan's interview through CL, so count me as a believer!

It is rather disappointing to not be working in my field. I gave it a good fight, and I am still moving the water, but good opportunities aren't coming until Christmas. I may help Holy Cross College on the Westbank start a new Theology across the Curriculum program as an adjunct professor (and maybe assistant director?). That is a position worth patience. And I might use whatever quiet time I have to write, which has been a goal these last few months, so I can stay in practice that way.

I have found that the Ignatius Chapel on campus is a good place for Mass. I like the small size, the democratic nature, the obvious appreciation and understanding of everyone there, the quality of the leadership from the Jesuit community, and especially the liturgical music from Ken, who provides another entry on my very short list of times I have benefited from liturgical music. It reminds me of the UPIC community at Leuven, where I first discovered the Mass again.

Loyola has been like a warm blanket for me these days. My friends there look up to me, if only because they know me as an older-brother figure. It is an unchallenging environment in place and person, but perhaps that makes it a place where I can be dishonest with myself, so I am afraid to stay around much longer. I am grateful for me friends there, especially those who can kick my butt (Buddy, Alex, Diane, Kathleen, Shea, Judith, I think of all of you especially).

I am off to do some laundry, and maybe some tutoring, but certainly the laundry. Pictures will be forthcoming.

-Andy

PS - Quinn is well, with printer, and convincing her flat-mates that she's not a vegetarian. First day of class is tomorrow, and she is anxious, so please think of her or pray or whatever it is you do to communicate your cosmic energy in a positive way to Soton.

1 comment:

  1. Andy, you write like Douglas Adams, which endears you to me even more, hard as that is the imagine.

    ReplyDelete