Friday, September 11, 2009

One crazy week...

So it's been a crazy week here. I flew to London, was rejected entry based on the suspicion that I was not a tourist but a person seeking residence and employment and public funds (can't fault the acumen of the border people), detained and flown back to LA (on UK funds). Everyone was lovely about it, "Oh hello Mr. Morgan, good to see you again, I'm afraid to say that we are sending you back, can I get you some tea and a sandwich?" So I am back here. I got to watch a lot of movies, though - Coraline (sweet, beautiful), Sunshine Cleaners (cutesy Amy Adams), Angels and Demons (dumb), the Soloist (brilliant, provocative), Dragonball (dumb, bad acting), and even some new Flight of the Conchords!

Quinn has received here visa! It is in her hand right now. She is changing her flight - again, if its not too expensive - so that she can get to Southampton quickly, setup an apartment, and make it to the 'welcome week' at University. Her ticket for the 21st would have left her in the middle of orientation week with no apartment, so we are happy for that change. I hope her arrival is less eventful than mine! She will be staying at Anna and Adrian's house in London, commuting to Southampton to find an apartment and attend school events.

I will leave LA after she does and head to New Orleans. I think that means the 21st. I will keep trying to get my own visa (without which I am barred from the UK), but mostly I am looking for work (thank you Buddy and Kathleen) so I can start paying down student loans. There is some hope for a visa, especially if I can convince my diocese contacts in England to sponsor me.

We are staring down another year apart. Sadness. This is no good at all, but what to do? Depending on work I may or may not travel to Belgium in October as planned. Maybe Christmas? Questions questions questions. Another wrench thrown into our plans, another year suddenly and profoundly changed. Does the universe conspire to separate us? Do we sabotage ourselves? What is the meaning of these challenges in our lives? Are they signs, grace-filled acts, or are they the result of accumulated randomness? We will see.
-Andy
http://boxbrown.com/comics/2009-09-11-Universe-Dont-Care.jpg

5 comments:

  1. ok well the sleeves are rolled up and i am fully prepared to bust several caps in order to rectify this situation. who can i call? or bribe? i can make a mean arroz con pollo... and i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have a blog? Well isn't that cute.
    High five getting booted out of the UK Andy, I heard all about it Wednesday night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tough break on the visa. Iknow it's frustrating that you've done all you can and still your goal eludes you. Perhaps its a perverse test of how strong your relationship is, to be separated this long. Good luck with the job hunt - something should turn up soon. You and Quinn are in our thoughts as you struggle through this. LOve Dad and Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. aergh! that must have been quite an experience. I've never heard of that actually happening! Either something will turn up, or it will all prove to be for the best. In the meantime I will keep my fingers crossed for your job hunt!
    Love
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete